An overview of how OKR check-ins work and some suggested questions to ask during the check-in.
Why do we need to run a Check-in?
A weekly or bi-weekly check-in is part of the OKR process and is for teams to share how everyone is doing with their Key Results.
- Check-ins are the regular forum for owner of the Key Result to highlight at any time during the OKR period, if there are any hiccups in confidence or progress with a Key Result, or if help is required.
- Through greater visibility, check-ins help identify if any changes need to be made sooner rather than later.
- Check-ins help the Objective owner to understand the progress and confidence of the Key Results that contribute to their Objective (as other people may own these Key Results).
- Check-ins give the team lead overall awareness of the progress and confidence for the team OKRs. It is the place for the team lead to discuss and be able to understand any challenges that are occurring and offer additional help and resource if necessary.
What needs to happen before the check-in?
Firstly, it is important to say that the Check-in will ideally form part of your current meeting cycle rather than being an additional meeting!
Key Result progress and confidence should be updated in the TG App, ideally weekly - and definitely before each Check-in - see also How to update a Key Result in TG.
Progress - your movement towards the achievement of the Key Result
Confidence - your level of confidence in being able to achieve the Key Result
The confidence level is one way of indicating that you are on track - especially if there is a lag with the metrics.
The confidence level is also one way of indicating that help is required.
What should we discuss during a Check-in?
The check-in should acknowledge the OKRs that are on track and then focus on the OKRs that have hiccups or require help.
You could ask each Key Result owner:
- Has there been progress since the last Check In?
- What is your confidence level in achieving your Key Result? Do you need help? If so, who from?
- Are there any obstacles or challenges which may prevent you from achieving your Key Result?
You can also discuss the priorities for the coming week which will best benefit the objectives and inform others if there are conflicting priorities or challenges.
If you are not able to solve challenges immediately, or feel there may be a need to refocus - book a session offline to resolve it.